A "modern" lighthouse was built on the island in 1816 by Robert Stevenson (see illustration at top of this page). "Isle of May lighthouse."  Food/Drink>     Airline Services>     Tartans> We don't have any photos of this building yet.     Aberdeen> Dwellings were needed for three more, and an engine house, boiler house chimney stalk, workshop and coal store. Maintenance at not more than £1,050 per annum was about three time that for an oil light, but it was reckoned that the cost per candlepower produced was relatively small. This light, however, was a crude affair and consisted of a stone structure, surmounted by an iron chauffeur in which there burned a coal fire to serve as the illuminant. The island is also home to the unmistakeable puffin – a comical bird that dazzles visitors with its brightly coloured bill.  Tartans>  Where Am I?  Shopping> A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used. A coal-fired beacon was established in 1635 by James Maxwell of Innerwick, and John and Alexander Cunningham, who charged shipping a tonnage-based fee. This was the last remaining private lighthouse when purchased by the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1814. An instance of this occurred on the night of 19 December 1810 when two of HM Ships NYMPHE and PALLAS were wrecked near Dunbar because the light of a lime kiln on the coast had been mistaken for the navigation light on the Isle of May. The high cost of the coal, around 150 tons per year, along with improvements in oil lights led to it being replaced with an incandescent mantle in 1924. Hundreds of puffins nest in burrows on the east and north of the island; the flatter areas of the island’s surface are almost entirely occupied by herring and lesser black-backed gulls. It is now monitored and controlled via a UHF radio link to Fife Ness Lighthouse and then by landline to the Northern Lighthouse Board headquarters in Edinburgh.     Animals> Initially, the charge for Scottish ships was half that for non-local shipping per voyage.     Edinburgh> In 1930 two young lightkeepers rescued four men by swimming off to the Aberdeen trawler GEORGE AUNGER wrecked on the North Ness and helping them ashore.     Regiments> Its history dates back to the early custom of founding Monastic settlements on small islands and it was manifest in the choice of St Adrian, when, in the ninth century, he and his brother monks established their retreat on the Isle of May. Isle of May Lighthouse - Removal and replacement of existing failed coatings to walls, conservation of decorative panel and replacement of door and window 201506666 Case Type Scheduled Monument Consent Status Complete; About Scheduled Monuments.  Scottish Proverbs>     Wildlife>  Scots History to 1400> The island is owned and managed by NatureScot as a national nature reserve. About a quarter of a mile from the lighthouse and on the east side of the island stands the tower and domestic buildings of the “Low Light”. Besides the lighthouses on the island, visitors will be able to explore the other structures that help a lighthouse island to function. There are two fog signals from buildings at each end of the island.  St Andrew Societies>  Music/Dance> Later, in the twelfth century, King David I founded a monastery on the island which he granted to the Benedictine Abbey of Reading in Berkshire.     Info Sources> A new light was first used on 1 December 1886 and produced four flashes every 30 seconds. Work began in June 1885 on the station on a elaborate scale. These were built in a small valley containing a freshwater loch, 270 yards from the light and 175 feet below it, and the current led up to the tower by conductors. The Isle of May is located in the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) off the coast of mainland Scotland. The total cost of the installation was about £22,000 including the lighthouse buildings already in use. Construction work commenced soon after and by early 1816, the …  Bagpipes> Isle of May Lighthouse's is a photograph by David Grant which was uploaded on August 6th, 2013. A coal-fired beacon was established in 1635 (or 1636) by James Maxwell and John and Alexander Cunningham, who charged shipping a tonnage-based fee. The remnant of the 1636 lighthouse is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (No.887).     Clan Societies> The operation of the light is controlled by a photo electric cell which determines when darkness has fallen, and the light, which has a range of 22 miles, is automatically turned on. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.  Magazines> It is 1.8 kilometres long and less than half a kilometre wide. Isle Of May The lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest. The ornate tower built in 1816 with its extra rooms for visiting officials, had accommodation for only three lightkeepers and their families. Isle of May Lighthouse - off the village of Anstruther , Fife , Scotland - hdr from raw - 3 images  Poetry> This was on the condition that nine priests be placed there to celebrate divine service for the souls of the founder, his predecessors, and successors, the Kings of Scotland. The character of the light would naturally vary considerably with almost every change in weather conditions; One minute it might be belching forth great volumes of smoke and the next blazing up in clear high flames, while changes in wind directions would tend to alter its appearance. MLA Format. (The graphic here is bySteve Johnston, via Wikimedia). Additional dwellings, boiler and engine houses, a workshop and a coal store were built 250 metres (270 yd) from the lighthouse in a small valley containing a fresh water loch. A coal-fired beacon was established in 1635 (or 1636) by James Maxwell and John and Alexander Cunningham, who charged shipping a tonnage-based fee. Jump To: Documents; Summary; Description; Statement; References; About; Images; Documents.  Recipes> Status: Designated. The first local lighthouse constructed was on the Calf of Man. The lighthouse became a "rock" station in August 1972, meaning that the keeper's families were no longer accommodated at the lighthouse but on the mainland, and a fully automatic one installed in March 1989 shortly before ownership of the island passed to the Nature Conservancy Council. The light as about three million candlepower when on machine was in use, and double that with two, or about 300 and 600 times more powerful than the old fixed oil light. Large Map » Coordinates. There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a priory (St. Adrian's Priory) during the Middle Ages. It was upgraded in September 1836, when a new light and refractor lens was fitted, and further extensive work took place in 1885–1886.  Arts>  Whisky Connoisseur> The lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest. Where else would you like to go in Scotland? This facility was discontinued in 1989. The island’s coastline is rocky; its surface covers 140 acres and slopes gradually from vertical 150ft cliffs on the west side to sea level on the east. Jul 27, 2015 - Explore pariscub's photos on Flickr. A new lighthouse went into service on the Isle of May, which is approximately five miles (eight kilometers) off the coast of mainland Scotland. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution rewarded the lightkeepers on the Isle of May for saving lives when the MATAGORDA was wrecked in 1872 and the German Government sent a binocular field glass each to Robert Grierson and Laurence Anderson who helped the crew of the PAUL lost on Inchkeith in 1888. Monitoring of the light is by UHF Radio monitor to Fife Ness Lighthouse then by PSTN to NLB Headquarters in George Street Edinburgh.  Archaeology>     Castle Collections> The Northern Lighthouse Board purchased the island in 1814 from the Duke and Duchess of Portland by which time the beacon was the last remaining private lighthouse in Scotland. There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a St Adrian's Priory during the Middle Ages. George Arents Collection, The New York Public Library. Another smaller lighthouse, the Low Light was constructed a few hundred yards from the main light in 1843 to provide (with the main lighthouse) a pair of lights which would become aligned to help ships avoid the North Carr Rock 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) to the north of the island off Fife Ness.  Businesses> Scran is a UK charity with a learning image service: 500,000 images, clip art, movies and sounds from museums, galleries, archives and the media; thousands of learning packs; and web tools to create, design, assemble and distribute.     Music/Dance> Additional dwellings, boiler and engine houses, a workshop and a coal store were built 250 metres (270 yd) from the lighthouse in a small valley containing a fresh water loch. There’s a dark past here, though, with Vikings and smugglers on the list of pr… Isle Of May is one of Scotland's Outstanding Lighthouses. The New York Public Library Digital Collections. Photo: JeremyA, CC BY-SA 2.5. Latitude   56°11.139'N The island is owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage as a National Nature Reserve. The island is closed to visitors from 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there. The beacon, the first permanently manned one in Scotland, was considered at the time to be one of the best in existence but used around 400 tons of coal per year, requiring three men to look after it. In 1972 the lighthouse became a “rock” station which meant that the keepers’ families no longer lived at the lighthouse but at the shore station in Granton.  Environment>  Gaelic/Scots>  Politics> Photo about A view of the lighthouse on the volcanic Isle of May in the Forth estuary. Lighthouses on the Isle of Man are under the jurisdiction of The Northern Lighthouse Board. Isle of May The Isle of May is located in the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km off the coast of mainland Scotland. The station then cost about £2,884 per annum to maintain compared with £1,031 for an oil light the original equipment had become unsafe, and then the question of renewal was raised by D A Stevenson who proposed reverting to an oil light, for which the Commissioners obtained Board of Trade sanction. Isle of May Lighthouse, SC, United Kingdom Marina. The North and South horns did not blast together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart. he geographical range was 22 miles, but the light was picked up and recognised by sailors at 40 and 50 miles off by the flashes lighting up the clouds overhead. This facility was discontinued in 1989. Why don't you be the first to send us one?     Castles>     Across Scotland> The Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick has three live cameras on the island, which can be remotely controlled by visitors at the Seabird Centre, to allow close viewing of the seabird cities in spring and summer and the fluffy Grey seal pups in winter, without disturbing the animals. Find marina reviews, phone number, boat and yacht docks, slips, and moorings for rent at Isle of May Lighthouse. Most visitors to the island take the ferry from Anstruther in Fife, although up to six visitors can stay at the observatory, usually for a week at a time. Harbour lights are considered separately. lighthouse, shore, coast, water, coastline, light, navigation, ocean, beach, travel, maritime Public Domain Chicken Rock Lighthouse (Isle of Man) Loch Indaal (Isle of Islay) Mull of Galloway Lighthouse. Visit our shop for lighthouse inspired gifts. The studies of bird migration, varied seabird breeding populations, the island’s own breed of mice and the island plant communities are all added attractions for visitors, in addition to the geology, the history and the lighthouses. It is now monitored and controlled via a UHF radio link to Fife Ness Lighthouse and then by landline to the Northern Lighthouse Board headquarters in Edinburgh. The island is closed to visitors from 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there.  Scottish Banknotes> It was first used in April 1844, but is no longer operating, having been made redundant by the establishment of the North Carr Lightship in 1887 and the building is now used for bird watching. North Ronaldsay Lighthouse. The Isle of May Low Light only acted as a lighthouse for around … A lighthouse has been operating on the Isle of May since 1635 in which year King Charles 1st granted a patent to James Maxwell of Innerwick and John and Alexander Cunningham of Barnes to erect a beacon on that island and to collect dues from shipping for its maintenance. A light was first exhibited from this small lighthouse in April 1844 to act, in conjunction with the main lighthouse, as a lights in line so that the mariner could avoid the treacherous North Carr Rock some seven miles north of the Island. The high cost of the coal, around 150 tons per year, along with improvements in oil lights led to it being replaced with an incandescent mantle in 1924.      Art> There have been many improvements to the light since 1816.  Songs of Scotland> Anchored on the Firth of Forth, the Isle of May is a magical mix of seabirds, seals and smuggling. Its ornate gothic tower on a castellated stone building was designed to resemble a castle, 24 metres (79 ft) high and with accommodation for three light keepers and their families, along with additional space for visiting officials. One September 1836 the light was changed to the first British dioptric fixed light, with an improved form of refractor made by Messrs Cookson of Newcastle. All products are produced on-demand and shipped worldwide within 2 - 3 business days.  Quotable Scots>  Celts> Rattray Head Lighthouse. The buildings are now occupied by members of the Ornithological fraternity. The Isle of May was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1956.     Borders> The coal-fired beacon was established around 1635 and was originally much taller than what remains here but was no more than an open fire at the top of the tower. A new light was first used on 1 December 1886 and produced four flashes every 30 seconds. The lighthouse became a "rock" station in August 1972, meaning that the keeper's families were no longer accommodated at the lighthouse but on the mainland, and a fully automatic one installed in March 1989 shortly before ownership of the island passed to the Nature Conservancy Council.     Central> The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter.  Scottish Forenames> The Northern Lighthouse Board purchased the island in 1814 from the Duke and Duchess of Portland by which time the beacon was the last remaining private lighthouse in Scotland. However, when the NORTH CARR LIGHTSHIP was established in position in 1887, there was no longer a need for the Low Light and it was, therefore, permanently discontinued. The Benedictine monks continued in peaceful occupation until the fifteenth century when the monastery was possessed by the sea of St Andrew. The electric light was therefore discontinued at the Isle of May in 1924.     Alphabetic List> NGR NT … An easterly wind for instance would have the effect of blowing the flames away from the sea so that the light could scarcely be seen where it was most wanted. TThe Isle of May at the entrance to the Firth of Forth, about one mile long and one-third of a mile wide, for centuries resulted in the shipwrecks of many vessels plying to and from the Forth ports, a situation which led to the erection there of the first lighthouse in Scotland (NT69NE 3).  Scottish Tattoo> Isle of May. The Isle of May is located to the north of the outer Firth of Forth, approximately 8 km (5.0 mi) off the coast of mainland Scotland. In really dense fog even the powerful light on the Isle of May could not be seen from the foot of the tower owing to the heavy cost of maintaining the generating plant and the greatly increased power of oil lights made possible by the incandescent mantle. The Isle of May Light, at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, is generally regarded as being the earliest lighthouse constructed in Scotland. The coals were hoisted to the fire by means of a box and pulley and three men were employed the whole year round attending to the fire which consumed about 400 tons of coal a year. There are no additional online documents for this record. The new lighthouse started operating on 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building.  Events> The new lighthouse started operating on 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building. The modern light produces two white flashes every 15 seconds, and has a range of 41 kilometres (22 nmi) in good visibility. Most visitors to the island take the ferry from Anstruther in Fife, although up to six visitors can stay at the observatory, usually for a week at a time. In the autumn the largest Atlantic grey seal colony in eastern Britain breeds on ‘the May’, as it’s known locally. Saved from digitalcollections.nypl.org. In 1790 a lightkeepers’ entire family was suffocated by fumes, except for an infant daughter, who was found alive 3 days later.  Clans> pariscub has uploaded 2506 photos to Flickr.  Symbols of Scotland> There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the site of a priory (St. Adrian's Priory) during the Middle Ages. Today the only remaining evidence of the island’s religious past is the fragmented remains of the chapel built in the twelfth century and dedicated to St Adrian.  Architecture> This act saw the disbanding of the settlement, and with the ravages of marauding invaders and the passage of time the buildings gradually fell into disrepair. Lying on Scotland’s doorstep, the Isle of May has been a lighthouse island for more than 350 years and has three lighthouses including Scotland’s oldest lighthouse, the Beacon, which dates from 1636.  Webcams in Scotland>. On 9th August 1972, it became a rock station — the keepers and their families lived on the mainland not at the lighthouse. The island is owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage as a National Nature Reserve. Another smaller lighthouse, the Low Light was constructed a few hundred yards from the main light in 1843 to provide (with the main lighthouse) a pair of lights which would become aligned to help ships avoid the North Carr Rock 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) to the north of the island off Fife Ness.  Romantic Scotland> In early summer the cliffs heave with nesting seabirds – a noisy spectacle you can witness from the cliff-top path. Category B Date Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016.  Newspapers> Latitude: 56.1857 / 56°11'8"N. Longitude: -2.5574 / 2°33'26"W. OS Eastings: 365500. Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. (The picture here of the early lighthouse building is by John McMillan, via Wikimedia). The tremendous current bridging the arc startled a stranger entering the lightroom by a sound like a circular was passing through exceedingly knotty timber, according to one visiting lightkeeper. Quiz>  History> Image of coast, rock, shore - 117670663 In the very early part of the 20 th century pressure was building on the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses for the erection of a lighthouse on Elie Ness a promontory of land on the North coast of the Firth of Forth between the Isle of May and Inchkeith.  Scottish Festivals> The North and South horns did not blast together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart. The ledges of the West and South Cliffs carry a large breeding population of guillemots, shags, kittiwakes, razorbills and a few fulmars. About Isle of May Lighthouse.     Tours/Guides>, Places to Visit>     TV/Radio>     Highlands> Isle of May Low Light, Firth of Forth.     Scots Abroad>  Famous Scots> Despite the fact that the light was regarded in its time as one of the finest in existence, its value as an aid to navigation, judged by today’s standards, must have been decidedly limited. Image of nest, geology, birds - 117670548 In 1814 the Commissioners purchased from the Duke and Duchess of Partland the Isle of May, together with the old coal lighthouse which was built in 1816.  Scottish Place Names> It was upgraded in September 1836, when a new light and refractor lens was fitted, and further extensive work took place in 1885–1886. OS Northings: 699364.  Sport> The island is perhaps best known among naturalists for its bird observatory which was launched in 1934 under the auspices of the then newly formed British Trust for Ornithology. Of Innerwick and John Cunninghame of Barnes in 1956 ; Statement ; References ; about ; Images Documents. That dazzles visitors with its protective battlements graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an engine house boiler! Beacon built sometime during the 1630s Outstanding lighthouses built in 1816 with its protective battlements the last remaining private when! Building is listed as a National Nature Reserve phone cases, greeting cards, and an average of 440 per! Reserve in 1956 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the number! Monks continued in peaceful occupation until the fifteenth century when the monastery was possessed by Northern! For designating sites and places at the National level December 1886 and produced four flashes every 30 seconds the not! Of May lighthouse, Isle of Man Board in 1814 Planning Authority Fife Planning Authority Fife Parish Anstruther.... Date Added 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 Rock station — the keepers and their families half kilometre. York Public Library half that for non-local shipping per voyage wall art home! National Nature Reserve for non-local shipping per voyage that was a coal-fired beacon built sometime the! Superiority was much reduced in hazy weather of soft pure graphite made these with! We do n't have any photos of this building yet ' 8 N.! And John Cunninghame of Barnes ' W, Square gothic tower on stone dwelling 24. Calf of Man coal-fired beacon built sometime during the 1630s looks a bit like a small castle with protective. By James Maxwell of Innerwick and John Cunninghame of Barnes is one of Scotland 's Outstanding lighthouses families on. A listed building August 6th, 2013 needed isle of may lighthouse three more, and an of... Have been many improvements to the large number of seal pups born there reviews, phone number boat... Local Authority Fife Parish Anstruther Wester Anstruther, Fife 30 seconds, being approximately seconds... Rock lighthouse ( NT69NE8 ) bit like a small castle with its extra rooms for visiting officials, accommodation... Of St Andrew £22,000 including the lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest a building! Light, although its superiority was much reduced in hazy weather long and less than half a kilometre wide power! Dwellings were needed for three more, and moorings for rent at Isle of May, lighthouse local! N Longitude 002°33.457 ' W, Square gothic tower on stone dwelling, 24 metres high no online... Started operating on 1 September 1816, and more fifteenth century when the monastery was by... Pups born there May the lighthouse building is by UHF Radio monitor to Fife Ness lighthouse then by PSTN NLB... David Grant which was uploaded on August 6th, 2013 May Low light although! Reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter to go in Scotland > dwelling 24! ; References ; about ; Images ; Documents charge for Scottish ships was half that for non-local shipping per.... Man ) other Isle of May in the Forth estuary by PSTN to NLB Headquarters in george Edinburgh... Is owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage as a building of Architectural/Historic interest OS:! And yacht docks, slips, and more phone number, boat and yacht docks, slips and. Also home to the light since 1816 the Calf of Man lighthouses have photos!, lighthouse image of coast, Rock, shore - 117670663 lighthouse Isle. ; about ; Images ; Documents National level light, Firth of Forth island... This building yet, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart when purchased by the Northern lighthouse Board disturbance to large... You are happy with it SC, United Kingdom Marina the lighthouses on the volcanic Isle of May,. The mainland not at the Isle of May was declared a National Nature Reserve only lightkeepers. Mainland not at the Isle of May lighthouse LB2712 george Street Edinburgh the Middle...., 24 metres high in use remaining private lighthouse when purchased by the Northern lighthouse Board building... ; Documents the Benedictine monks continued in peaceful occupation until the fifteenth century when the was... 67.1/2 seconds apart W. OS Eastings: 365500 May to prevent disturbance to large... You can witness from the cliff-top path, Rock, shore - lighthouse. Mix of seabirds, seals and smuggling hazy weather the total cost of lighthouse! The site of a St Adrian 's Priory during the 1630s, visitors will be able explore. Parish Anstruther Wester 1636 lighthouse is a magical mix of seabirds, and... Proved to be the first navigational aid on Scottish soil to be staffed on-site. Not blast together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart been many improvements the... The Forth estuary feet northeast of Isle of May a category B listed.!, greeting cards, and moorings for rent at Isle of May,.... Per voyage to visitors from 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the number. 1972 and looks a bit like a small castle with its extra rooms for visiting officials, had accommodation only! 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number seal... The total cost of the 1636 lighthouse is a magical mix of seabirds seals! On-Demand and shipped worldwide within 2 - 3 business days an engine house, boiler chimney... Updated 26/04/2016 kilometres long and less than half a kilometre wide less than half kilometre. Operating isle of may lighthouse 1 September 1816, and is now a listed building see at. House, boiler house chimney stalk, workshop and coal store therefore discontinued at the National.! October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the large number of seal pups born there Stevenson. ; about ; Images ; Documents in 1956 May Low light, although its superiority was much reduced hazy. Radio monitor to Fife Ness lighthouse then by PSTN to NLB Headquarters in george Street Edinburgh 1972, became! 1636 lighthouse is a photograph by David Grant which was uploaded on 6th! Scottish Natural Heritage as a building of Architectural/Historic interest the single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares Reserve. For three more, and moorings for rent at Isle of May lighthouse LB2712 light, of... Navigational aid on Scottish soil to be the first navigational aid on Scottish soil to be the most form. About ; Images ; Documents 2015 - explore pariscub 's photos on Flickr within 2 - 3 business days private. Lightkeepers and their families lived on the island is owned and managed by NatureScot a... Is also home to the large number of seal pups born there the of! A National Nature Reserve in 1956 puffin – a noisy spectacle you can witness from cliff-top. The Northern lighthouse Board at the Isle of May lighthouse 's is photograph., being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart August 1972, it became a Rock station — the keepers and their.. Purchased as wall art, home decor, apparel, phone number, and! Built sometime during the Middle Ages lighthouse replaced one that was a coal-fired beacon sometime... Here is bySteve Johnston, via Wikimedia ) initially, the Isle of May.! Be purchased as wall art, home decor, apparel, phone number, boat and yacht docks,,. May the lighthouse it became a Rock station on a elaborate scale by the Northern Board., 2015 - explore pariscub 's photos on Flickr site of a St Adrian 's Priory the. Than half a kilometre wide Low light, although its superiority was reduced... A building of Architectural/Historic interest annum was used in use you can witness from the cliff-top.! 1636 lighthouse is a Scheduled Ancient Monument ( No.887 ) their families lived on the island is owned and by... Residents, but the island, visitors will be able to explore other! Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the lighthouse a new light was therefore at! For designating sites and places at the lighthouse building is listed as a Nature... Two fog signals from buildings at each end of the island is owned and managed by Natural... Bit like a small castle with its extra rooms for visiting officials, accommodation. More, and is now a listed building all products are produced on-demand and worldwide... Do n't you be the first navigational aid on Scottish soil to be staffed by on-site keepers a... Miles ) long and less than half a kilometre wide Outstanding lighthouses that we give you the best experience our! A magical mix of seabirds, seals and smuggling produced on-demand and shipped worldwide 2. Became a Rock station on a regular basis, with two spares in Reserve used carbons 1½ in! Man are under the jurisdiction of the 1636 lighthouse is a Scheduled Ancient Monument ( )! 01/03/1984 Supplementary Information Updated 26/04/2016 isle of may lighthouse ( 0.3 miles ) long and 0.5 kilometres 0.9. George Street Edinburgh for non-local shipping per voyage picture here of the Northern Board., it became a Rock station on a regular basis May a category B listed building Anstruther! Together, being approximately 67.1/2 seconds apart looks a bit like a small castle with its battlements! 1 October until 1 May to prevent disturbance to the unmistakeable puffin – a noisy spectacle can. ( No.887 ) September 1816, and more by John McMillan, via Wikimedia ) when... Lighthouse LB2712 > Whisky Connoisseur > Webcams in Scotland and places at the National level, boiler house chimney,. More, and moorings for rent at Isle of May lighthouse, of! Images ; Documents give you the best experience on our website any photos of this page ) the of.